Thread: What is the purpose of ATIS??

Question What is the purpose of ATIS??

Shalom and greetings all my pals,

I have no problem flying in Vatsim and communicating with Vatsim controllers for many months.

There is one thing that puzzles me.

Sometimes I get statement from Vatsim controllers " XXXX (airport code) ATIS is online. So out of curiosity, I texted to ATIS which had automatic reply ATIS does not communicate by texting.

I am thinking of participating in 48 hour Frankfurt airport event subject to EuroCay's decision to agree to create temporary VAFS4 round trip route from French hub to Frankfurt and back.

Reading Frankfurt Vatsim website, I came across the words:

Listen ATIS carefully prior coming into arrival airspace. It tells you the approach to expect.
    What is ATIS and how does it help in flying? Do I need ATIS?

Aharon

Flew 17 relief flights to MTPP, 5 relief flights to Chile, 7 relief flights to MYNN, 5 relief flights to NZCH, 7 relief flights to Japan, 4 relief flights to NJ via KPHL/KACY, 5 relief flights to RPVM/RPVA, and 4 relief flights to TDPD

I think it is an automatic broadcasting frequency that you can tune into which advises pilots of the current weather condition, which runways are in use, which frequencies to use etc. If you go to Oshkosh, KOSH in FSX, the radio is automatically tuned to Whittman Co Regl.'s ATIS, listen to that to see what it is all about, I think it is the case in Moscow too, ATIS is already tuned in the radio by chance. A quick, easy google search wouldn't have been a bad idea...

Correct, ATIS is an automated, audio-transmitted service available through one frequency which provides pilots with the latest meteorological conditions for the airport you are flying into.

On Vatsim you can also pick up this information by typing into the squawkbox window (where you typically type to controllers)

.metar MWCR (substitute MWCR for the airport you wish to have information for.)

Do not miss out the period at the beginning, keep the space in between.

When you receive this the ATIS will be sent to you in a coded, text format known as a metar. This is the same information that you receive from the ATIS, just in raw form. To learn about how to decode a metar read here: http://www.met.tamu.edu/class/METAR/quick-metar.html

This is an example of a metar:

MWCR 121400Z 15008KT 100V190 9999 FEW020 31/25 Q1014 NOSIG
    FlyCay CEO: Jonathan Schutte - Contact: jon@flycay.com

My Pilot Logbook : Follow us on Twitter : FlyCay Facebook

ATIS= Automatic Terminal Information Service

This is used to releive the controller a lot of stress in the first contact situation!
    Normally a Controller in the TWR or APP position would have to make sure on first contact that the aircraft knows:
    Runway In Use,
    Type Of Approach,
    Surface Wind and Direction,
    Visibility and RVR (if applicable),
    Present Weather,
    Any Cloud below the MSA (minimum sector altitude) and any CBs if around,
    Air Temperature,
    Dew Point,
    Altimeter Settings,
    any meteorlogical phenomena in the approach area,
    trend-type forcast when available.

Thats a lot to talk about! and thats just for the MET! now there is also important stuff like:
    Current Runway condition in case of any hazzard or precipiants,
    changes in operational status of visual and non-visual aids esstential for approach and landing.

So thats a lot to say in just first contact with an aircraft and if you have a lot of aircraft to talk to, you wont be doing much controlling!

So they made up this Automated Information Broadcast that send out all this information on a separate frequency!
    This information is updated regularly on an hourly basis and runs through 24 parts which are identified by the phonetic alphabet

So at time 0000 UTC, the ATIS information shall be ALPHA and will continue onto X-RAY (2300 UTC).
    It is imperative that in a lot of busy busy airports, you get this information as the controllers dont have time to tell you all of it (and beleive me, there can be a lot of information in them!) so what they will say is that:
    "On first contact advise you have information ALPHA (depending on the time of day)."

Pilots should therefore say when checking in:
    "Cayman Approach, CAYMAN 103 at position ATUVI, with information ALPHA"
    this allows the controller to understand that the pilot knows about the weather and any operational restrictions as the airport and he will verify with the pilot by saying:
    "CAYMAN 103, Cayman Approach, ATIS information ALPHA is current, QNH1016"

Even tho the altimeter setting was issued in an ATIS, it always has to be told to the pilot again as the ATIS may be 30 mins old and the altimeter setting may of changed since then so best to make sure that the pilot knows the current QNH!

They also are used for Departures in some very very busy airports to make sure that all departing aircraft know what to expect in case of any delays or operational procedures that may need to be applied.

In VATSIM the atis frequency will show up in your Squawk Box, all you need to do is right click on that frequency, and go to "Controller Information" and the ATIS will be displayed in a text format incase you dont have any sound capabilities.

So remember, its always good to get the ATIS as it helps you out as you can plan ahead, and helps out the controller also.
    EuroCay Director: Alastair Bird- Contact: a.bird@flycay.com

thanks all for fantastic explanations!!

Flew 17 relief flights to MTPP, 5 relief flights to Chile, 7 relief flights to MYNN, 5 relief flights to NZCH, 7 relief flights to Japan, 4 relief flights to NJ via KPHL/KACY, 5 relief flights to RPVM/RPVA, and 4 relief flights to TDPD

Very Good
    FlyCay CEO: Jonathan Schutte - Contact: jon@flycay.com

My Pilot Logbook : Follow us on Twitter : FlyCay Facebook

Outstanding explanation!!
    AmeriCay Director: Kenneth Reed - Contact: k.reed@flycay.com